Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Family

Okay, so I just read an article my sister sent me through an email about how our religion is killing us by telling us to multiply and replenish the earth. It preached that it was "selfish" to have more than your allotted two offspring because of using too many of the earth's resources. Selfish? SELFISH? Tell me, sir Oliver "Buzz" Thomas, author of the article, which is more selfish, your definition of family with two children living off of probably TWO incomes, or my family with five children living off of one income? Which family is using more of the earth's resources, the kids taught that Mommy and Daddy (or her significant other) will buy them whatever they want, including a large home and three cars OR the family raised being taught to conserve and be frugal, and sacrifice? It seems as though the two spoiled kids have just learned to use MORE of the world's resources than the kids from a large family who-dare I say it-learned to share the family's and the earth's resources!
So those are my thoughts for today.

I'm still planning on having my four or five children.

3 comments:

Joseph Pulikotil said...

When we married,me and my wife dicided to have six children. We ended up with three because my wife had to undergo ceasarian operation for all the three deliveries and the doctor advised us not to have any more children because she cannot have normal delivery. I wish you all the best. There is only one small problem. What will you say if one child tell you that if there were no othet brothers and sisters, this child would have more to eat, better dresses, better toys, better education, more love from parensts etc? I wonder how will you deal with a question like that?

AZ said...

Who is that guy? Why is he writing on your blog? This is my reply to those questions:
What better food is there to eat than one prepared and shared by many people?
What better dresses can you wear than those that were worn by an older sister?
What better toys can you have that are shared by siblings?
What better education can you have than to learn to love, share, respect at home?
When you have more children there is only more love to go around. Giving your children the opportunities to multiply the love and divide the hate among many siblings and learning life lessons along the way is the greatest gift any parent can give a child.

PS In America we are so blessed that none of those questions are truly a problem. Try living in another country where there is true poverty and families will tell you that the greatest treasures they have is their family!

MerBear's Blog said...

I agree with zeig-zag, family is the greatest treasure, no matter what "financial" situation one may be in. If my child ever asks me for material objects in the place of a sibling, I will consider that a excellent example of the tragedy of value deterioration.
Children would never ask those questions, and if they ever did it would be an indication of extreme selfishness.